GDP: an accurate measure of economic health?
Reports suggest GDP may not be the whole story when it comes to gleaning economic health
The problem with predictions
Forecasting the economy is not easy, and words such as ‘bubble’ are perhaps bandied around too frequently. Indeed, Canadian housing may be suffering from overvaluation
The future looks (too) bright
The ‘dismal science’ tag does not seem to apply to the science of forecasting
As they saying goes, if you want to enjoy a sausage, it’s better not to know what’s in it
The uncertainty principle
Do financial systems abide by a completely different set of rules?
Seeing the light
Economists need to realise the importance of incorporating human emotion
“Negative pigs come to feed”
They say no-one except Vince Cable saw the global financial crisis coming. They couldn’t be more wrong
Is the world of finance too male?
Guy Fawkes on the right
Vilfredo Pareto and the Occupy movement
Power to the people
Financial disasters follow a power-law, writes David Orrell. And power-law distributions are neither completely ordered, nor completely chaotic, but are on the boundary between the two
On fish and finance
It might seem that fisheries management and financial regulation have little in common. Bankers have been accused of many things recently, but only rarely of being slippery underwater creatures with gills
“The Mecca of the economist lies in economic biology…”
…said the neoclassical economist Alfred Marshall in the preface to his Principles of Economics. The mathematician and author David Orrell considers the relationship between science and economics
- Top 5 fastest-growing economies
- Top 5 hostile takeovers of all time
- Nike vs Adidas: a league of their own
- Does IKEA truly deserve its non-profit status?
- Guaranty Trust Bank is harnessing technology to drive inclusivity
- Top 5 of the fastest-growing industries in the world
- AmInvest aims to break global boundaries in Malaysia
- Top 5 regulatory concerns currently facing financial institutions
- Top 5 countries with the largest fiscal deficits
- Top 5 most interesting mergers and acquisitions of the past year